Red Deer River Naturalists

The Red Deer river Naturalists are a group dedicated to learning about and preserving natural history. They have regular programs with speakers and many field trips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Golden Eagles and Bear at Kananaskis, AB




I had the opportunity to go out to Kananaskis October 11 and 12th to help with the Golden Eagle count (fall migration 2009) at the Mount Lorette eagle watch site. Bill Wilson and I counted 236 Golden Eagles on Sunday. Cliff Hansen and I counted 69 on Monday. By the way, the temperature at the site on Monday morning was -19.5C. Below is a picture of a juvenile Golden Eagle that Cliff was able to take at the site. I also include a shot of a Water Dipper by Cliff Hansen. One of the many Dippers that stay at the site year-round as the Kananaskis River here does on freeze over in winter.



























I thought I would also share a encounter that one of our fellow "eaglers" had on October 8, 2009 at the eagle watch site 4 days earlier. Joel gave me permission to share his story, I added the bear:

1 comment:

  1. A great story from Joel! How many times are we caught without a camera when we really need it?
    Do we know if there are more or less eagles this year?

    ReplyDelete

Natural Wise Fun

Gain information and experience by following natural Wise . Make comments and ask questions about our posts. Tell us about your experiences.