Red Deer River Naturalists

The Red Deer river Naturalists are a group dedicated to learning about and preserving natural history. They have regular programs with speakers and many field trips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Crows Arrive in Red Deer

       Yesterday, Mar. 19, I distinctly heard crows from my house. I was busy doing my income tax and you know, right in one of those places that I couldn't stop so I didn't go out to look for the crows. Seeing the first crow in spring indicates that spring is on it's way.  It's always pleasant to hear the first crow caw after we haven't heard them for so long.

       Over night we had 5 cm of snow. At 7 AM I looked out and a block from my house in a large poplar tree were twenty crows just sitting motionless waiting for the day to start. They looked rather uncomfortable in the fog, snow and the gloom. However, crows are hardy birds and I'm sure they can cope well with a spring snow storm.

       Now some people may have seen crows before Mar. 19 in the Red Deer area. If you did see crows before Mar. 19 , please leave some comments.

2 comments:

  1. I photographed a couple of crows on March 8 in South Edmonton. Last week I was watching their unison flying, such acrobatics amaze and delight. Of course by the time I got the camera set they had flown out of my sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought crows should have been here before now and you just proved it! I think many good shots are missed but so goes the battle.

    ReplyDelete

Natural Wise Fun

Gain information and experience by following natural Wise . Make comments and ask questions about our posts. Tell us about your experiences.