Red Deer River Naturalists

The Red Deer river Naturalists are a group dedicated to learning about and preserving natural history. They have regular programs with speakers and many field trips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sharp Shinned Hawk Visits Feeder


A sharp-shined hawk visited my feeders last week. I suspect it has been noting the chickadees, finches and nuthatches that come every day. I have to assume he figured that a feeder is a feeder and he can have a bit of bird for breakfast. It stayed long enough for a photo, but I didn't see it catch anything. The books say that this species like to hangout in low bushes and small trees waiting for a meal.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful hawk. We saw one early last spring in the River Valley in Edmonton though I could not get a clear photo, only clear enough to id. About a week later one landed in the tree right outside my window and of course by the time I reached for the camera it took flight. Have not seen one since. We do have resident Merlins here all year so maybe there was too much competition for a meal for it to stick around. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Natural Wise Fun

Gain information and experience by following natural Wise . Make comments and ask questions about our posts. Tell us about your experiences.