Red Deer River Naturalists

The Red Deer river Naturalists are a group dedicated to learning about and preserving natural history. They have regular programs with speakers and many field trips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 5, 2017

FIND THE CALLING BIRD!

    This morning I shovelled snow just before noon. It was cold and with a bit of a breeze. Being Sunday morning , things were very quiet.

   When I'm out I always watch for birds. I like to see what's in the area and listen for any calls.

    This morning I heard a bird call as I was shovelling. I stopped to listen. I could identify the bird immediately. It was the collared dove. However, I couldn't see the bird. I kept shovelling, listening and watching. I find the collared dove sound hard to pinpoint. I know the general direction but it seems to come from different areas. Sometimes that's because there's more than one bird.

    I finished shovelling and still hadn't seen the bird. I wasn't going to go up the street looking for the bird.

    I hope the bird or birds found what they were looking for. They were probably looking for a suitable feeder.

   Collared doves are recent arrivals here. The first one I saw was three years ago. Many people have not seen them but I'll bet they've heard them. I was asked recently if collared doves were around this winter. Yes, they are. They are around my place every week or so.

Image may contain: bird and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Wise Fun

Gain information and experience by following natural Wise . Make comments and ask questions about our posts. Tell us about your experiences.