Red Deer River Naturalists

The Red Deer river Naturalists are a group dedicated to learning about and preserving natural history. They have regular programs with speakers and many field trips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 12, 2017

WHERE'S THE MOUSE?

      Two or three times a year I will have mice in my yard. They've usually been around for quite sometime before I notice. Sometimes they get into the shed and the bird seed. They can make a mess.

      With the fresh snow, mouse tracks are obvious and a few days ago I saw tracks. Of course, I lost the tracks. So where's the mouse?

      Today the tracks appeared again and it looks like he/she was heading out of the country.

       When I'm out in the bush in snow I always watch for signs of mice. Mice are an important part of the food chain. How many mice a month does it take to keep an owl from being hungry.

      This fall some crop in Alberta was not harvested. Swaths of grain are perfect places for mice. Then in the spring we discover a large mouse population.

     Are you seeing more mice this winter because of crop left in the field?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Wise Fun

Gain information and experience by following natural Wise . Make comments and ask questions about our posts. Tell us about your experiences.