Red Deer River Naturalists

The Red Deer river Naturalists are a group dedicated to learning about and preserving natural history. They have regular programs with speakers and many field trips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Christmas Bird Count

        My Christmas bird count was a little blue this year. On a previous post I wrote about what I could expect. Sometimes there is a possibility to see 12  to 14 species and 150 birds and sometimes you can end up with 7 species and less than 50 birds. This year my success was the latter.

       The day was overcast , minus 12 to 14 and light winds. This should have been a good day to count birds. Birds should have been moving and easy to see and count. I was out for about three and a half hours and walked about 7 km. Many of the places that I would stop at before and wait a minute and see 15 to 20 chickadees did not produce.

      Am I disappointed? No. I know that bird counts are only trends. One small area by itself does not hold much weight. I was out doing something I really like and that was the main thing. I will be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Wise Fun

Gain information and experience by following natural Wise . Make comments and ask questions about our posts. Tell us about your experiences.